Thursday, November 19, 2015

Day 2: A Rough Landing

Arrive CDG airport around 1:30 pm local time.  Airport seems normal to me. Immigration takes a few minutes in line.  No customs inspection.  Takes me awhile to find the box containing my luggage, which has been opened by US TSA.  I find a place that will take my beaten-up box and go in search of my train.

After 2 miles I figure out the train is not working andI have to take a bus halfway to Paris to catch the train. I see a few soldiers patrolling the airport, but this is normal in Paris.

I start to get motion sickness on the bus.  I am sleep deprived and probably dehydrated.  All I can think about going bed.

It's short walk from the RER train station to my apartment, but long enough for the shoulder strap on my bag to break.  The handles on the bag work fine.

I arrive at the apartment building at 4 pm.  It's chilly and damp while I wait for the first hour.  Around 5 pm I beg for help from two women speaking English.  We call the apartment's owner and she gives me the rental agency's" "emergency phone number."  At 7:30 pm somone shows up with the apartment keys and a four minute tour.  I don't care about anything but sleep.  Atfter that I remember absolutey nothing at all.

It has taken me about 50 hours to get here, a rough journey that concluded with a rough landing. The first leg of it, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog - I feel all caught up - Gads zooks. What a time in the States! Not a pleasant beginning in regards to the apartment either - but, I know you'll have a good if not a great time in Paris. Looking forward to reading about your time there. Not sure what you mean by "your box', and especially if it had a strap much less one that broke - Sounds like "hiking". Where did you eat after you finally got in and got a nap - or even a full night's sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, is the arrival at the apartment 4 p.m. Saturday the 15th of November, or what date? It's difficult to tell except that 50 hours from the 13th should tell me - I think it's Saturday. I wonder if the management company had sent someone over to let you in when your expected arrival time was originally or did they know about the delay and were expecting you Saturday, but wouldn't have known when?

    ReplyDelete